AECOM Researcher in Morgantown, West Virginia
Business Line Energy
Position Title Researcher
United States of America - West Virginia
AECOM is seeking a Research and Development Engineer 4 for our Morgantown, WV location.
The R&D support shall be provided by an Engineer or Scientist degree in engineering, chemistry or physics from an accredited university with 0-2 years of applied experience with expertise in R&D work that focuses on the following;
a. Utilize expertise in catalysis and characterization to generate and conduct experimental test plans, data analyses, and design and diagnostics of reactor systems.
b. Possess knowledge of and experience with characterization for electromagnetic/microwave-assisted catalytic reactions.
c. Understand surface physics and electromagnetic interactions with materials to design an efficient microwave reactor system for chemical reactions.
d. Provide support in analytical techniques such as dielectric measurements, BET, XRD, SEM, XPS, etc.
e. Focus on investigating novel methods for design and testing of catalyst materials including but not limited to microwave based reactor systems.
f. Collect, analyze, and report experimental data from experiments.
g. Conduct of operations utilizing knowledge and experience in proper laboratory methods.
h. Familiarity with HSC Chemistry or similar and statistical software like SAS or similar is preferred. Experience with Microsoft Office products including PowerPoint, Word, and Excel is also expected.
2) The candidate will provide R&D support to NETL-AECOM research staff. The support will be to provide laboratory support to the Advanced Reaction Systems research team, with an emphasis on catalyst design, evaluation, and characterization.
3) The candidate must possess extensive knowledge of the fundamental principles, theories, practices, and established methodology of engineering, chemistry, physics and mathematics. The candidate must possess knowledge of and practical experience with catalyst development with a preferred background in coal/biomass processes to value added products.
4) The candidate should have previous work history in conducting research and development in a structured laboratory environment using high-temperature/pressurized systems and handling a variety of chemicals.
5) The ideal candidate will have experience and/or familiarity with conducting research in a US Government National Laboratory setting where conducting safe operations is paramount.
6) The ideal candidate will have demonstrated ability to author publications and to present results related to their research work.
7) An update will be due by the end of each month briefly describing the accomplishments from that month and the next month’s forecast. Also, the applicant will include the relevant status of patents, publications or presentations. Reported information concerning publications and presentations shall include full title, author listing and journal or society name.
8) An update will be due by the end of the quarter briefly describing that quarter’s accomplishments.
9) The candidate will participate in group meetings. Group meetings are designed to allow the applicant to discuss current research and promote discussion with fellow researchers. Group meetings occur on a regularly scheduled basis with additional meetings on short notice. The candidate should be proficient in creating PowerPoint presentations as requested for any group meetings. The frequency of these presentations is varied.
10) This position requires at least a PhD in a Scientific or Engineering Discipline from an accredited university with 0-2 years of experience in laboratory operations with a preference of operations and analyses in a structured laboratory environment.
11) This position will require interfacing with customers and potential collaborative partners, so excellent verbal and written communication skills are required.
Bachelors degree in Engineering, or related scientific field and at least 8 years of job-related experience or a Masters degree and 3 years of experience or a Ph. D. or equivalent. A Professional Engineer's license may substitute for 2 years of experience. Excellent communication and analytical skills; working knowledge of computer systems and integrated software application programs. Position may require travel. Position may require the ability to pass and maintain a Security Clearance.
Previous site experience at a US Government National Laboratory is preferred
What We Offer
AECOM is a place where you can put your innovative thinking and business skills into high gear and work alongside other highly intelligent and motivated people. It's a place where you can apply your skills to some of the world's most challenging, interesting, and meaningful projects worldwide. It's a place that values the diversity of our areas of practice and our people. It's what makes AECOM a great place to work and grow.
AECOM is an equal opportunity employer and Minorities, Females, Veterans, and Disabled persons are encouraged to apply. For further information, please click here to view the EEO Is The Law poster.
Job Category Engineering
Business Group Management Services Group (MS)
Country United States of America
Position Status Full-Time
Requisition/Vacancy No. 191884BR
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.