AECOM R&D Engineer 5 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Business Line Energy
Position Title R&D Engineer 5
United States of America - Pennsylvania
AECOM is seeking a Research and Development Engineer 5 for our Pittsburgh, PA location.
1) The R&D support shall be provided by an engineer with an advanced degree with expertise in R&D work that focuses on the following;
a. thin film functional materials for high temperature chemical sensing, with integration in optical fiber sensors and other sensor platforms.
b. fabrication of coatings using sputtering and dip coating methods
c. evaluation of coatings using materials science microanalysis instruments (SEM, XPS, XRD, TEM)
d. performance testing of coatings using the various techniques in conjunction with UV, visible, and near-infrared spectroscopy measurements
e. the physics of photonics and phononics for self-powered sensors including plasmonics, surface plasmon resonance, thermal energy conversion, thermal emission, nanoscale heat transfer, thermoelectric materials, and high electronic conductivity and high temperature stable thin films.
f. optical coatings and optical modeling including thin film optical modeling and electromagnetic wave propagation simulation methodologies including FDTD, Comsol, BPM, etc.
2) The candidate will provide R&D support to NETL-AECOM Advanced Sensors staff. The support will be to provide thin film functional materials research technical support to the NETL research group, with emphasis on functional thin films and nanomaterials for sensors in high temperatures and harsh environments
3) The candidate will have extensive work history in the development and fabrication of thin film oxides and metal oxide nanocomposites that perform in harsh environments. .
4) The candidate will have knowledge and experience with materials science instrumentation and methods including SEM and XRD.
5) The ideal candidate will have demonstrated ability to author high quality publications related to their research work.
6) The ideal candidate will also have experience with UV-visible-near infrared spectroscopy, infrared vibrational spectroscopy, ellipsometry, optical fiber sensors, SEM, XPS, XRD, TEM.
7) The ideal candidate will have experience with computer programming for Labview for data acquisition and signal processing.
8) The candidate will participate in group meetings. Group meetings are designed to allow the applicant to discuss current research and promote discussion with fellow Advanced Sensors researchers. Group meetings occur on a regularly scheduled basis with additional meetings on short notice. The candidate should be proficient in creating PowerPoint presentations as requested for any group meetings. The frequency of these presentations is varied.
9) This position will require extensive interface with customers and potential collaborative partners, so excellent verbal and written communication skills are required.
Bachelors degree in Engineering, or related scientific field and at least 11 years of job-related experience or a Masters degree and 6 years of experience or a Ph. D. and 3 years of experience or equivalent. A Professional Engineer's license may substitute for 2 years of experience. Excellent communication and analytical skills; working knowledge of computer systems and integrated software application programs. Position may require travel. Position may require the ability to pass and maintain a Security Clearance.
PhD Degree in an engineering field from an accredited university and at least 5 years of experience in thin film/coatings development (including graduate and post-graduate work) with a preference of experience in a national laboratory environment or R&D industrial lab where safe working practices are paramount.
What We Offer
AECOM is a place where you can put your innovative thinking and business skills into high gear and work alongside other highly intelligent and motivated people. It's a place where you can apply your skills to some of the world's most challenging, interesting, and meaningful projects worldwide. It's a place that values the diversity of our areas of practice and our people. It's what makes AECOM a great place to work and grow.
AECOM is an equal opportunity employer and Minorities, Females, Veterans, and Disabled persons are encouraged to apply. For further information, please click here at http://www.aecom.com/content/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/EEO-is-the-Law-poster-supplement.pdf to view the EEO Is The Law poster.
NOTICE TO THIRD PARTY AGENCIES:
Please note that AECOM does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or employment agencies. In the absence of a signed Recruitment Fee Agreement, AECOM will not consider or agree to payment of any referral compensation or recruiter fee. In the event a recruiter or agency submits a resume or candidate without a previously signed agreement, AECOM explicitly reserves the right to pursue and hire those candidate(s) without any financial obligation to the recruiter or agency. Any unsolicited resumes, including those submitted to hiring managers, are deemed to be the property of AECOM.
Job Category Engineering
Country United States of America
Position Status Full-Time
Requisition/Vacancy No. 161349BR