AECOM R&D Scientist 5 in Morgantown, West Virginia
Requisition/Vacancy No. 151986BR
Position Title R&D Scientist 5
Job Category Sciences
Business Line Energy
Country United States of America
State/Province/Region USA - West Virginia
Why Choose AECOM? AECOM is a premier, fully integrated professional and technical services firm positioned to design, build, finance and operate infrastructure assets around the world for public- and private-sector clients. With nearly 100,000 employees — including architects, engineers, designers, planners, scientists and management and construction services professionals — serving clients in over 150 countries around the world, AECOM is ranked as the #1 engineering design firm by revenue in Engineering News-Record magazine’s annual industry rankings, and has been recognized by Fortune magazine as a World’s Most Admired Company. The firm is a leader in all of the key markets that it serves, including transportation, facilities, environmental, energy, oil and gas, water, high-rise buildings and government. AECOM provides a blend of global reach, local knowledge, innovation and technical excellence in delivering customized and creative solutions that meet the needs of clients’ projects. A Fortune 500 firm, AECOM companies, including URS Corporation and Hunt Construction Group, have annual revenue of approximately $19 billion. More information on AECOM and its services can be found at www.aecom.com.
About the Business Line
We address the complete spectrum of energy challenges, including clean and renewable energy, energy efficiency and carbon management, hydropower and dams, thermal, geothermal and wind power generation, and transmission and distribution.
AECOM is seeking a Research and Development Scientist 5 for our Morgantown, WV Site.
1) The R&D support shall be provided by a scientist with an advanced degree in a scientific/engineering
field with expertise in R&D work that focuses on the following;
a. Development, verification, validation, application of multiphase computational fluid dynamics
modeling tools - primarily based on the NETL MFIX (Multiphase Flow with Interphase eXchanges)
suite of software - to aid in the design, performance evaluation, and optimization of novel chemical
reactors and energy conversion devices;
b. Development of computational fluid dynamics-based optimization tools and techniques to aid in the
development of novel chemical reactors and energy conversion devices.
2) The candidate will provide R&D support to NETL-AECOM Gasification and Advanced Reaction Systems
staff. The support will be to provide computer programming support to the NETL research group, with
emphasis on multiphase flow modeling.
3) The candidate will have extensive work history in the development and use of multiphase flow modeling tools and software with a preference in prior/current MFIX usage.
4) The ideal candidate will have demonstrated ability to author high quality publications related to their research work.
5) An update will be due by the end of each month briefly describing the accomplishments from that month and the next month’s forecast. Also, the applicant will include the relevant status of patents, publications, software updates, or presentations. Reported information concerning publications and presentations shall include full title, author listing and journal or society name.
6) An update will be due by the end of the quarter briefly describing that quarter’s accomplishments.
7) The candidate will participate in group meetings. Group meetings are designed to allow the applicant to
discuss current research and promote discussion with fellow Gasification and Advanced Reaction Systems
researchers. Group meetings occur on a regularly scheduled basis with additional meetings on short notice.
The candidate should be proficient in creating PowerPoint presentations as requested for any group
meetings. The frequency of these presentations is varied.
8) This position will require extensive interface with customers and potential collaborative partners, so excellent
verbal and written communication skills are required.
Bachelors degree and 11 years of job-related experience in biology, chemistry, economics, geology, physics, mathematic or related scientific field or a Masters degree and 6 years of experience or a Ph.D and 3 years of experience or equivalent. Excellent communications and analytical skills, working knowledge of computer systems and integrated software application programs. Position may require travel. Position may require the ability to pass and maintain a security clearance.
A PhD Degree in a scientific/engineering field from an accredited university and at least 5 years of experience in multiphase flow modeling (including graduate and post-graduate work) with a preference of experience in a national laboratory environment or R&D industrial lab where safe working practices are paramount.
What We Offer
AECOM is a place where you can put your innovative thinking and business skills into high gear and work alongside other highly intelligent and motivated people. It's a place where you can apply your skills to some of the world's most challenging, interesting, and meaningful projects worldwide. It's a place that values the diversity of our areas of practice and our people. It's what makes AECOM a great place to work and grow.
AECOM is an equal opportunity employer and Minorities, Females, Veterans, and Disabled persons are encouraged to apply. For further information, please click here at http://www.aecom.com/content/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/EEO-is-the-Law-poster-supplement.pdf to view the EEO Is The Law poster.