AECOM Senior Development Engineer in Manchester, United Kingdom
Requisition/Vacancy No. 144372BR
Position Title Senior Development Engineer
Job Category Engineering - Transportation
Business Line Transportation
Country United Kingdom
State/Province/Region GBR - Manchester
Why Choose AECOM? AECOM is a premier, fully integrated professional and technical services firm positioned to design, build, finance and operate infrastructure assets around the world for public- and private-sector clients. With nearly 100,000 employees — including architects, engineers, designers, planners, scientists and management and construction services professionals — serving clients in over 150 countries around the world, AECOM is ranked as the #1 engineering design firm by revenue in Engineering News-Record magazine’s annual industry rankings, and has been recognized by Fortune magazine as a World’s Most Admired Company. The firm is a leader in all of the key markets that it serves, including transportation, facilities, environmental, energy, oil and gas, water, high-rise buildings and government. AECOM provides a blend of global reach, local knowledge, innovation and technical excellence in delivering customized and creative solutions that meet the needs of clients’ projects. A Fortune 500 firm, AECOM companies, including URS Corporation and Hunt Construction Group, have annual revenue of approximately $19 billion. More information on AECOM and its services can be found at www.aecom.com.
About the Business Line
We provide professional services in areas such as aviation, transit, freight rail, highways and bridges, planning, and ports and marine. Our global network of top-tier specialists delivers comprehensive services over the full life cycle of a project to benefit clients in government and private industries.
Our Transportation team currently have a vacancy for a Senior Development Engineer in our Manchester office with experience of highway scheme design associated with the Development sector. AECOM are continuing to expand their Development team in our northern offices following recent project wins. The individual will be expected to have a Civil Engineering Degree or similar and either be Chartered or working towards a professional qualification with one of the following, ICE or CIHT. They will have proven design and project management experience delivering to quality, time and budget. They will have experience of working as part of project teams developing detailed design packages for Development projects, including preparing details for Section 278 and Section 38 agreements.
The role would suit a self motivated individual looking to advance their career in a dynamic team. The Manchester office has an established track record of successfully delivering a wide variety of projects to both local and national clients. Our modern office is based in Manchester city centre and accommodates multidisciplinary teams within the transportation sector and across the wider disciplines of the AECOM business. The Development team in Manchester comprises individuals with a wide ranging capability and experience. The diversity of skills means that they are able to service the majority of local client needs with support from specialists within AECOM. The team is involved in local and national projects with a variety of clients. The multi-disciplinary nature of the office also means that we are able to offer clients a true ‘one stop shop’. Our current portfolio of works comprises a diverse mix of local and national development related projects.
The appropriate level of technical expertise is required in order that the Job/Project Accountabilities listed below can be carried out to the necessary standards:
• Receive project brief and carry out briefing of the junior team members and lead on analysing data, development of design drawings and report production.
• Undertake Health & Safety duties including ensuring a safe and healthy working environment for the project team members and fulfilling all responsibilities for health and safety in design.
• Manage project (as PM) including monitoring financial performance and budget.
• Ensure technical content and quality of output produced is in line with the project brief.
• Manage sub-consultants to produce deliverables against agreed timescales and in line with budget.
• Attend Project Progress meetings.
• Prepare detailed client briefs or fee proposals for Manager approval and contribute to major bids
• Support team manager in mentoring junior staff.
• BSc, BEng or MEng degree in Civil Engineering or other relevant subject
• Demonstrate experience of highway design associated with development projects at concept, feasibility and detailed design level.
Ability to demonstrate experience or understanding in the following areas:
• Understanding of Health and Safety including CDM responsibilities;
• Working on a variety of projects as project manager or task manager leader;
• Highway, cycling, walking, road safety, public transport and parking design;
• Surface water and foul drainage design
• Application and use of the Design Manual for Roads and Bridges (DMRB), Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions (TSRGD) and Traffic Signs Manuals as well as other relevant design guidelines;
• Proficient user of AutoCAD and familiar with other software such as WINdes;
• Proficient user of Civils 3D software;
• Dealing directly with clients;
• Contributing to bids and proposals;
• Mentoring junior staff.
Whilst not essential any of the following skills would be desirable:
• Appreciation of traffic modelling and ability to interrogate outputs,
• Undertaking detailed design and urban realm design.
• The planning process and associated procedure both pre and post approval.
You will have a relevant degree and will be a Chartered Engineer or will be working towards an appropriate Chartered status with membership of a professional institution. You will have excellent technical and communication skills along with experience of undertaking a range of traffic engineering design projects.
What We Offer
AECOM is a place where you can put your innovative thinking and business skills into high gear and work alongside other highly intelligent and motivated people. It's a place where you can apply your skills to some of the world's most challenging, interesting, and meaningful projects worldwide. It's a place that values the diversity of our areas of practice and our people. It's what makes AECOM a great place to work and grow. AECOM is an Equal Opportunity Employer.