AECOM Graduate Opportunities 2017 - DPE Urban Designer - London in London, United Kingdom
Business Line Design + Planning
Position Title Graduate Opportunities 2017 - DPE Urban Designer - London
United Kingdom - London
AECOM is built to deliver a better world. We design, build, finance and operate infrastructure assets for governments, businesses and organizations in more than 150 countries. As a fully integrated firm, we connect knowledge and experience across our global network of experts to help clients solve their most complex challenges. From high-performance buildings and infrastructure, to resilient communities and environments, to stable and secure nations, our work is transformative, differentiated and vital. A Fortune 500 firm, see how we deliver what others can only imagine at aecom.com and @AECOM.
The AECOM Design, Planning and Economics team currently have an exciting opportunity for a flexible, talented, creative and passionate Urban Designer to join them in the London office to work on medium and large scale strategic, residential and mixed use development masterplans. We provide excellent professional development and career opportunities so the ideal candidate will be looking to further their experience and skills base in a practical workplace environment.
The successful candidate will be design orientated and will have excellent technical skills and a strong team capability.
As a Graduate Urban Designer with a relevant urban design qualification, you will join our established team to support senior urban design and planning staff in the production of masterplans, urban design guidance, planning strategies, design & access statements, capacity studies and other outputs in relation to strategic planning and urban design commissions for public and private sector clients.
The successful candidate will have knowledge of residential, mixed-use and regeneration masterplanning in a UK context. The urban design team works closely with planning colleagues, so a good appreciation of the UK planning system and policy framework as well as the current planning agenda and key issues would be an advantage. With a strong appreciation of the links between people, place, the environment and the economy, the role will often work alongside multi-disciplinary planning and technical teams on interesting assignments of all sizes, from neighbourhood plans, through large-scale residential-led masterplanning to regional and national strategies.
Current projects within the team include large residential-led urban extensions for new communities in Essex, Hampshire and London, a number of smaller to middle-sized commissions for national housebuilders, strategic planning projects in Europe, regeneration and community led-masterplanning, commercial/industrial site planning and technical support for neighbourhood planning groups.
Joining AECOM will provide you with opportunities for career progression within a positive culture where learning and development is actively supported and promoted. You will have the opportunity to work towards taking more responsibility your projects, assist in helping the career progression of more junior staff and contribute to the future growth and success of the team. Work portfolios are managed to ensure that all staff experience a breadth and depth of project opportunities.
The role will often work alongside multi‐disciplinary design teams in the following ways:
• Develop design solutions and strategies for a range of projects encompassing residential, mixed use, commercial and industrial masterplanning commissions;
• Developing projects from feasibility through concept and sketch design to the appropriate level of detail, including to outline planning;
• Prepare high quality visualisations from sketch to illustrative and presentation standard, and
• Assist in the preparation of feasibility, design, planning and other documentation, as required, including contributing to the preparation of submissions and fee proposals.
• An undergraduate degree in urban design or a first degree in architecture/landscape architecture/planning followed by a postgraduate qualification in urban design;
• Good working knowledge of current urban design issues in a UK context;
• Competence in the use of the full range of design packages including AutoCad, the full Adobe Creative Suite, 3D packages including Sketch‐Up, Rhino, etc., and Microsoft Office suite;
• Confidence and competence in drawing and sketching by hand;
• The ability to work in a consultancy environment, with a strong attention to detail, excellent organizational skills, ability to work independently and show initiative and successfully manage time to meet project deadlines;
• The ability to be able to work under close direction from senior colleagues as a key member of a multi‐disciplinary team, and
• Strong verbal and written communication skills are essential.
What We Offer
AECOM is a place where you can put your innovative thinking and business skills into high gear and work alongside other highly intelligent and motivated people. It's a place where you can apply your skills to some of the world's most challenging, interesting, and meaningful projects worldwide. It's a place that values the diversity of our areas of practice and our people. It's what makes AECOM a great place to work and grow. AECOM is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Job Category Vacation Student / Internship / Graduate
Country United Kingdom
Position Status Intern / Student
Requisition/Vacancy No. 164789BR