AECOM Technical Director - Highways in Croydon, United Kingdom
Requisition/Vacancy No. 157076BR
Position Title Technical Director - Highways
Job Category Engineering - Civil
Business Line Transportation
Country United Kingdom
State/Province/Region GBR - Surrey
Why Choose AECOM? AECOM is a premier, fully integrated professional and technical services firm positioned to design, build, finance and operate infrastructure assets around the world for public- and private-sector clients. With nearly 100,000 employees — including architects, engineers, designers, planners, scientists and management and construction services professionals — serving clients in over 150 countries around the world, AECOM is ranked as the #1 engineering design firm by revenue in Engineering News-Record magazine’s annual industry rankings, and has been recognized by Fortune magazine as a World’s Most Admired Company. The firm is a leader in all of the key markets that it serves, including transportation, facilities, environmental, energy, oil and gas, water, high-rise buildings and government. AECOM provides a blend of global reach, local knowledge, innovation and technical excellence in delivering customized and creative solutions that meet the needs of clients’ projects. A Fortune 500 firm, AECOM companies, including URS Corporation and Hunt Construction Group, have annual revenue of approximately $19 billion. More information on AECOM and its services can be found at www.aecom.com.
About the Business Line
We provide professional services in areas such as aviation, transit, freight rail, highways and bridges, planning, and ports and marine. Our global network of top-tier specialists delivers comprehensive services over the full life cycle of a project to benefit clients in government and private industries.
Our Strategic Highways business are looking to recruit a District Leader with experience in leading the development and delivery of a broad range of engineering design, management and operational maintenance disciplines. The successful candidate will take on the leadership of all highway sector operations in the district and will be based in the South East region operating across our teams in Chelmsford, Bedford and Croydon.
Our project teams are currently delivering major highways and infrastructure projects for high profile clients; we are now looking to grow this team with individuals who have a sound technical background and business development capabilities that share our enthusiasm and determination to develop our business.
The AECOM highways business in Croydon represents over 50 years of accumulated skills, experience and established culture in the delivery of all types of roads schemes: from major motorways to smaller local authority improvement schemes.
Current projects in the South East Region include Highways England Road Investment Strategy programme for East and Midlands, Highways England’s OD East Capital Delivery Programme, Smart Motorways and we continue to support Major Contractors on Design & Build highway and infrastructure projects.
The successful candidate will be joining a growing team that is actively involved in the delivery of projects and services to a range of clients including:
• Highways England
• Transport for London
• Suffolk County Council
• London Borough of Southwark
• Department for Transport
• Civil Engineering Contractors
Job responsibilities include:
• To be responsible for strategic highways business development activities in the South East and to ensure business targets are met
• To develop sound client relationships, being alert to commercial opportunities
• To identify strategies and develop emerging opportunities, and to fully exploit them
• To lead, or assist with, the preparation of major proposals
Health & Safety
• To provide health and safety leadership to the district team consistent with AECOM’s safety policies and procedures to deliver a safe and healthy working environment for the project team members
• To monitor the financial performance at District level in relation to agreed financial metrics and KPIs for performance review and to act as the local interface with operational management at an office and project level.
• Responsible for the Strategic Highways teams based in Chelmsford, Bedford and Croydon
• To ensure the necessary levels and distribution of appropriate resources locally for the pipeline of work to be delivered efficiently
• To line manage District Sector staff in the performance of their duties
• Act as a Project Director and Project Manager including monitoring financial performance.
• To develop and maintain a philosophy and attitude of sound risk management through comprehensive reviews of contractual risk on projects, conformity with the Legal Reference Guide and the continuing development of good practice; and to assist in the wider corporate and management functions of the Highways Bridge Sector to ensure continuing growth and development of the business overall.
In addition to delivering work across the regional office network, the role will also involve working with other AECOM teams in the UK and Ireland. We are therefore seeking candidates who are able to work flexibly across other AECOM offices as projects dictate to support the wider business. Further, the role offers opportunities to deliver work into AECOMs wider European, Middle East, Africa and India regions.
To be successful in this role we would like to hear from candidates who meet the following criteria;
• Experience in the successful delivery of highway engineering services to Highways England, Local Authorities and Contractors.
• Demonstrable leadership and business management experience.
• Excellent technical and communication skills.
• A flexible approach to supporting project and business development activities across UK and Ireland plus wider AECOM geographies (e.g. Continental Europe, Russia, Middle East, India and Africa).
• Demonstrable strength in business development and team leadership.
• An ability to deal directly with clients and engage and influence at a senior level within client organisations.
• A successful track record of delivery of bids and proposals.
• A proven ability of managing and growing a team, with strong leadership skills and the ability to develop and maintain a highly motivated project delivery team.
• Strong project delivery skills with an ability to effectively manage project commercial risks.
• A good industry profile, the gravitas to represent AECOM with major clients.
• Chartered member of relevant professional body
Whilst not essential any of the following skills would be desirable
• Waste reduction and LEAN delivery
• Operating in a collaborative working environment
• Understanding of Design for Maintenance and Design for Operations
• Application of ITS to deliver Smart Motorway solutions
• Project Management qualifications (e.g. PRINCE2)
• CSCS Card holder
• MSc or PhD in Engineering preferred
What We Offer
AECOM is a place where you can put your innovative thinking and business skills into high gear and work alongside other highly intelligent and motivated people. It's a place where you can apply your skills to some of the world's most challenging, interesting, and meaningful projects worldwide. It's a place that values the diversity of our areas of practice and our people. It's what makes AECOM a great place to work and grow. AECOM is an Equal Opportunity Employer.