AECOM Senior Highways Engineer in Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Requisition/Vacancy No. 157022BR
Position Title Senior Highways Engineer
Job Category Engineering - Civil
Business Line Transportation
Country United Kingdom
State/Province/Region GBR - Derbyshire
Why Choose AECOM? AECOM is a premier, fully integrated professional and technical services firm positioned to design, build, finance and operate infrastructure assets around the world for public- and private-sector clients. With nearly 100,000 employees — including architects, engineers, designers, planners, scientists and management and construction services professionals — serving clients in over 150 countries around the world, AECOM is ranked as the #1 engineering design firm by revenue in Engineering News-Record magazine’s annual industry rankings, and has been recognized by Fortune magazine as a World’s Most Admired Company. The firm is a leader in all of the key markets that it serves, including transportation, facilities, environmental, energy, oil and gas, water, high-rise buildings and government. AECOM provides a blend of global reach, local knowledge, innovation and technical excellence in delivering customized and creative solutions that meet the needs of clients’ projects. A Fortune 500 firm, AECOM companies, including URS Corporation and Hunt Construction Group, have annual revenue of approximately $19 billion. More information on AECOM and its services can be found at www.aecom.com.
About the Business Line
We provide professional services in areas such as aviation, transit, freight rail, highways and bridges, planning, and ports and marine. Our global network of top-tier specialists delivers comprehensive services over the full life cycle of a project to benefit clients in government and private industries.
Our Chesterfield based Strategic Highways team currently has vacancies for Senior Highways Engineers to work on major trunk roads and motorways both in the UK and internationally.
The successful candidate will join AECOM’s established Midlands business which continues to expand following several major project wins.
The Chesterfield based highways team represents over 40 years of accumulated skills, experience and established culture in the delivery of all types of highway schemes; including major motorway improvements such as the M1 widening near Nottingham, Smart Motorway projects on the M1, M3 and M6, major trunk routes including the A50 between Stoke and Derby, and prestigious projects such as the Mersey Gateway. Our modern offices in Chesterfield have good transport links and the team has an established reputation for high quality delivery. We are looking to enhance and enlarge the team with people who have a sound technical background and share our enthusiasm and determination.
Currently engaged on a number of interesting and challenging projects on the UK national network, particularly for Highways England, we are seeking an experienced Senior Highways Engineer to assist the Project Manager in delivering secured work. Our Chesterfield team is currently undertaking design work for the A38 Derby junction improvements, M54-M6/M6 Toll Link Road, M27 J4 to J11 and M3 J9 to J14 Smart Motorways, A52 Nottingham junction improvements and providing construction stage design support to A5 Dunstable Bypass, the Mersey Gateway and the M3 J2 to J4a Smart Motorway.
The appropriate level of technical expertise is required in order that the Job/ Project Accountabilities listed below can be carried out to the expected standards.
• Effectively undertake project and team activities in line with Company policy;
• Delivery of specified project outcomes on time, within budget and to the quality required;
• Undertake Health & Safety duties, fulfilling all responsibilities for health and safety in design;
• Undertake highway design in accordance with UK standards and best practice including DMRB and MCHW;
• Ensuring compliance with relevant technical standards;
• Managing the workload and the technical management and oversight of design team members;
• Preparation of designer’s risk assessments;
• Technical management of medium sized projects or tasks;
• Construct 3D models of projects in a BIM environment;
• Undertake checks of designs completed by others;
• Work collaboratively with colleagues and clients, using tools for information sharing such as Business Collaborator and ProjectWise;
• Writing and overseeing the preparation of contract documents and technical reports;
• Communication to junior team members, the Project Manager, wider organisation and external parties;
• Coaching, mentoring and developing junior staff;
• Managing and developing both internal and external client relationships;
• Identification and management of project risks;
• Flexibility and adaptability to operate within a rapidly changing environment.
For this role, we are seeking an experienced Engineer with a degree in Civil Engineering. The role requires:
• Previous post graduate experience in the design of highways to UK standards;
• A highly motivated individual with excellent oral and written communication skills;
• Full lifecycle experience across a range of projects;
• Significant technical design experience across a range of disciplines to DMRB and MCHW;
• A demonstrable understanding of Health and Safety including CDM;
• A strong desire to achieve technical excellence.
The individual will have proven design experience, delivering to quality, time and budget. They will have experience of working collaboratively as part of a team developing a range of major highway and infrastructure projects. The role will suit a self-motivated individual who is aspiring to take a lead role in delivering high quality projects assisting the Project Manager in the design development of schemes. The post may require the individual to work away from Chesterfield for short durations to suit project needs.
• BSc, BEng or MEng in Civil Engineering;
• Chartered/Incorporated Engineer and member of respective professional institution;
• Design and Build experience;
• Site Supervision experience;
• Mx / 3D Civils experience;
• Principal Designer Experience;
• A full clean driving licence.
What We Offer
AECOM is a place where you can put your innovative thinking and business skills into high gear and work alongside other highly intelligent and motivated people. It's a place where you can apply your skills to some of the world's most challenging, interesting, and meaningful projects worldwide. It's a place that values the diversity of our areas of practice and our people. It's what makes AECOM a great place to work and grow. AECOM is an Equal Opportunity Employer.