AECOM Senior Geotechnical Engineer in Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Business Line Environment
Position Title Senior Geotechnical Engineer
United Kingdom - Essex
Our Ground Engineering team in Chelmsford is currently recruiting for a Senior Geotechnical Engineer with experience of providing geotechnical design input to a variety of engineering projects. The Chelmsford office is a part of the wider London AECOM engineering hub with over 400 staff working predominantly within the Transportation (Road and Rail), Water, Tunnel, Building and Places and Environment sectors and the successful candidate will form part of our established and highly experienced ground engineering team providing local office project support but additionally support to projects in others offices with an associated diverse work load.
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate an understanding of the industry with a demonstrable experience in the technical support of projects and be conversant with the standards that apply. We are looking for an ambitious team player with strong development skills who wishes to assist in the development of innovative, cost effective and buildable solutions in an environment that is collaborative, stimulating and demanding. The role would suit a self-motivated individual looking to advance their career in a dynamic team. As a design hub for numerical analysis with extensive use of PLAXIS 2D and 3D, knowledge of numerical analysis software would be beneficial.
Nationally our Ground Engineering team comprises some 190 staff and provides one-stop access to a variety of services. The Croydon office has an established track record of successfully delivering ground engineering schemes throughout the UK and overseas. We are now looking to enhance and grow this team with individuals with a sound technical background in geotechnical design that share our enthusiasm and determination to support our expanding workload.
The team provides services ranging from project management, feasibility studies, detailed design and construction supervision for geotechnical works on a wide range of contracts and also supports other AECOM business lines where projects have a Ground Engineering interface.
The Ground Engineering team is currently involved in a number of high profile projects with a variety of clients. Our clients are from the private and public sector and our leading UK clients include Highways England, Network Rail, Homes and Communities Agency, BP. Shell, Thames Water, Environment Agency and numerous Local Authorities, as well as leading contractors and developers for overseas clients.
AECOM has an impressive portfolio of major national and international infrastructure projects.
A selection of our current and recent projects includes:
• Detailed earthworks design and ground modelling for Hinkley Point C Nuclear Power Station, Earthworks and Preliminary Works Contract.
• Design of the central section of the Thames Tideway Tunnel.
• Earthworks and Slope Remediation Schemes for Network Rail on the East Coast Main Line, Midland and West Coast Mainline.
• Multi-million pound regeneration of Brent Cross, including highway, local waterway and bridge designs.
• High Speed 2 provision of engineering and environmental services.
• Slope remediation schemes for Highways England in Area 4 and Area 8.
• Foundation and tunnelling design for Stockholm Bypass.
• Lead Designer for Lyme Regis Environmental Improvements Phase IV.
• Riyadh Metro.
• New Cameroon National Stadium.
The appropriate level of technical expertise is required in order that the Job / Project Accountabilities listed below can be carried out to the necessary standard:
• Scoping, tendering and supervision of ground investigations;
• Data interpretation, parameter derivation and design of geotechnical works including slopes, foundations, retaining structures, earthworks, strengthened earthworks and ground improvement;
• Contribute or lead the production of deskstudy, interpretive, design reports, technical notes and input to specification and contract documentation;
• Ability to work collaboratively within a multi-disciplinary design team interfacing directly with other ground engineering team members, other internal design teams from various disciplines and contractors;
• You will take responsibility for delivery of small projects or parts of projects under senior guidance and will assist in the internal checking and review of work by other members of the geotechnical team. In due course you will become involved in bidding for jobs and programme and budget control.
• You will have strong development skills and the technical ability, knowledge and competence to provide guidance and teaching to junior staff, if and when required;
• You will be a geotechnical engineer with good working knowledge in ground investigations and design of foundations, retaining walls, reinforced soil, earthworks and ground improvement.
• Possess strong problem solving and inter-personal skills working closely and collaboratively with colleagues in a multi-disciplinary environment;
• Good written and verbal communication skills with the ability to write technical reports, specifications and contract documents;
• Good analytical capabilities and experience in the use of relevant design software. Experience in numerical modelling using PLAXIS and similar software would be advantageous;
• Experience with relevant Eurocodes and UK standards and specifications;
• Willing to travel to other offices and sites within the UK and to occasionally undertake short assignments overseas;
• You will have a valid UK driving licence;
A first degree in Civil Engineering although individuals with an Engineering Geology or similar background will be considered.
You will have an MSc in Geotechnical Engineering, Engineering Geology or similar.
Chartered Engineer with ICE, IOM3 or equivalent.
What We Offer
AECOM is a place where you can put your innovative thinking and business skills into high gear and work alongside other highly intelligent and motivated people. It's a place where you can apply your skills to some of the world's most challenging, interesting, and meaningful projects worldwide. It's a place that values the diversity of our areas of practice and our people. It's what makes AECOM a great place to work and grow. AECOM is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Job Category Engineering - Geotechnical
Country United Kingdom
Position Status Full-Time
Requisition/Vacancy No. 163514BR