AECOM Technical Director - Highways in Cardiff, United Kingdom
Business Line Transportation
Position Title Technical Director - Highways
United Kingdom - South Glamorgan
Our Cardiff based Strategic Highways business are looking to recruit a Technical Director to lead the local office team with accountability for project performance, utilisation, training and bidding along with fulfilling the role of technical expert
The appointed candidate will join AECOM’s established highways business which continues to expand following several major project wins. We would like to hear from Chartered Civil Engineers who have proven team leadership, business development, project delivery and business management experience within a commercial environment. The role would suit a self-motivated individual looking to advance their career in a dynamic team.
The Strategic Highways team provides concept and preliminary design, network management, detailed design, project delivery and operational maintenance on a wide range of projects for national agencies, local authorities and civil engineering contractors plus supports other AECOM business lines where their projects have a specialised highways interface.
The successful candidate will be joining a growing team that is actively involved in the delivery of projects and services to a range of clients including:
• Highways England
• Transport for London
• Suffolk County Council
• London Borough of Southwark
• Department for Transport
• Civil Engineering Contractors
As a Technical Director, you will have the following daily responsibilities:
• Undertake and project-manage Highways schemes
• Responsible for production through to client sign off of Technical Approval documentation.
• Client liaison and the production of tenders, including quality documentation and costings.
• Project Management including program and resource monitoring, quality control, technical management and delivery.
• Lead the local office team with accountability for project performance, utilisation, training and bidding.
• Fulfil role of technical expert providing technical leadership in chosen field and/or fulfil role of Project Director.
• Approve engineering design principles, philosophy and scheme design report.
• Manage and lead the development of detailed brief and design philosophy with the client and team members.
• Effectively undertake project and team activities in line with company policy, including commercial, managerial and technical aspects.
• Provide leadership and management of staff and ensure effective communication of business issues to all staff reporting to you.
• Understand and implement AECOM’s Safety Health and Environment Policy.
• Effectively mentor engineers in their progress towards Professional qualification.
To be successful in this role we would like to hear from candidates who meet the following criteria;
• Experience in the successful delivery of highway engineering services to Highways England, Local Authorities and Contractors.
• Proven design and project management experience delivering to quality, time and budget.
• Excellent technical and communication skills.
• Demonstrable strength in business development and team management.
• Strong project delivery skills with an ability to effectively manage project commercial risks.
• Chartered member of relevant professional body
• The role will suit a self-motivated individual looking to lead teams and to advance their career both technically and in project management in a dynamic highways team
Whilst not essential any of the following skills would be desirable
• Waste reduction and LEAN delivery
• Operating in a collaborative working environment
• Understanding of Design for Maintenance and Design for Operations
• Application of ITS to deliver Smart Motorway solutions
• Project Management qualifications (e.g. PRINCE2)
• CSCS Card holder
• MSc or PhD in Engineering preferred
What We Offer
AECOM is a place where you can put your innovative thinking and business skills into high gear and work alongside other highly intelligent and motivated people. It's a place where you can apply your skills to some of the world's most challenging, interesting, and meaningful projects worldwide. It's a place that values the diversity of our areas of practice and our people. It's what makes AECOM a great place to work and grow. AECOM is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Job Category Engineering - Civil
Country United Kingdom
Position Status Full-Time
Requisition/Vacancy No. 157016BR