AECOM Technical Director - Highways in Cardiff, United Kingdom
Requisition/Vacancy No. 157016BR
Position Title Technical Director - Highways
Job Category Engineering - Civil
Business Line Transportation
Country United Kingdom
State/Province/Region GBR - South Glamorgan
Why Choose AECOM? AECOM is a premier, fully integrated professional and technical services firm positioned to design, build, finance and operate infrastructure assets around the world for public- and private-sector clients. With nearly 100,000 employees — including architects, engineers, designers, planners, scientists and management and construction services professionals — serving clients in over 150 countries around the world, AECOM is ranked as the #1 engineering design firm by revenue in Engineering News-Record magazine’s annual industry rankings, and has been recognized by Fortune magazine as a World’s Most Admired Company. The firm is a leader in all of the key markets that it serves, including transportation, facilities, environmental, energy, oil and gas, water, high-rise buildings and government. AECOM provides a blend of global reach, local knowledge, innovation and technical excellence in delivering customized and creative solutions that meet the needs of clients’ projects. A Fortune 500 firm, AECOM companies, including URS Corporation and Hunt Construction Group, have annual revenue of approximately $19 billion. More information on AECOM and its services can be found at www.aecom.com.
About the Business Line
We provide professional services in areas such as aviation, transit, freight rail, highways and bridges, planning, and ports and marine. Our global network of top-tier specialists delivers comprehensive services over the full life cycle of a project to benefit clients in government and private industries.
Our Cardiff based Strategic Highways business are looking to recruit a Technical Director to lead the local office team with accountability for project performance, utilisation, training and bidding along with fulfilling the role of technical expert
The appointed candidate will join AECOM’s established highways business which continues to expand following several major project wins. We would like to hear from Chartered Civil Engineers who have proven team leadership, business development, project delivery and business management experience within a commercial environment. The role would suit a self-motivated individual looking to advance their career in a dynamic team.
The Strategic Highways team provides concept and preliminary design, network management, detailed design, project delivery and operational maintenance on a wide range of projects for national agencies, local authorities and civil engineering contractors plus supports other AECOM business lines where their projects have a specialised highways interface.
The successful candidate will be joining a growing team that is actively involved in the delivery of projects and services to a range of clients including:
• Highways England
• Transport for London
• Suffolk County Council
• London Borough of Southwark
• Department for Transport
• Civil Engineering Contractors
As a Technical Director, you will have the following daily responsibilities:
• Undertake and project-manage Highways schemes
• Responsible for production through to client sign off of Technical Approval documentation.
• Client liaison and the production of tenders, including quality documentation and costings.
• Project Management including program and resource monitoring, quality control, technical management and delivery.
• Lead the local office team with accountability for project performance, utilisation, training and bidding.
• Fulfil role of technical expert providing technical leadership in chosen field and/or fulfil role of Project Director.
• Approve engineering design principles, philosophy and scheme design report.
• Manage and lead the development of detailed brief and design philosophy with the client and team members.
• Effectively undertake project and team activities in line with company policy, including commercial, managerial and technical aspects.
• Provide leadership and management of staff and ensure effective communication of business issues to all staff reporting to you.
• Understand and implement AECOM’s Safety Health and Environment Policy.
• Effectively mentor engineers in their progress towards Professional qualification.
To be successful in this role we would like to hear from candidates who meet the following criteria;
• Experience in the successful delivery of highway engineering services to Highways England, Local Authorities and Contractors.
• Proven design and project management experience delivering to quality, time and budget.
• Excellent technical and communication skills.
• Demonstrable strength in business development and team management.
• Strong project delivery skills with an ability to effectively manage project commercial risks.
• Chartered member of relevant professional body
• The role will suit a self-motivated individual looking to lead teams and to advance their career both technically and in project management in a dynamic highways team
Whilst not essential any of the following skills would be desirable
• Waste reduction and LEAN delivery
• Operating in a collaborative working environment
• Understanding of Design for Maintenance and Design for Operations
• Application of ITS to deliver Smart Motorway solutions
• Project Management qualifications (e.g. PRINCE2)
• CSCS Card holder
• MSc or PhD in Engineering preferred
What We Offer
AECOM is a place where you can put your innovative thinking and business skills into high gear and work alongside other highly intelligent and motivated people. It's a place where you can apply your skills to some of the world's most challenging, interesting, and meaningful projects worldwide. It's a place that values the diversity of our areas of practice and our people. It's what makes AECOM a great place to work and grow. AECOM is an Equal Opportunity Employer.