AECOM Principal Bridge Engineer in Birmingham, United Kingdom
Requisition/Vacancy No. 149662BR
Position Title Principal Bridge Engineer
Job Category Engineering - Transportation
Business Line Transportation
Country United Kingdom
State/Province/Region GBR - West Midlands
Why Choose AECOM? AECOM is a premier, fully integrated professional and technical services firm positioned to design, build, finance and operate infrastructure assets around the world for public- and private-sector clients. With nearly 100,000 employees — including architects, engineers, designers, planners, scientists and management and construction services professionals — serving clients in over 150 countries around the world, AECOM is ranked as the #1 engineering design firm by revenue in Engineering News-Record magazine’s annual industry rankings, and has been recognized by Fortune magazine as a World’s Most Admired Company. The firm is a leader in all of the key markets that it serves, including transportation, facilities, environmental, energy, oil and gas, water, high-rise buildings and government. AECOM provides a blend of global reach, local knowledge, innovation and technical excellence in delivering customized and creative solutions that meet the needs of clients’ projects. A Fortune 500 firm, AECOM companies, including URS Corporation and Hunt Construction Group, have annual revenue of approximately $19 billion. More information on AECOM and its services can be found at www.aecom.com.
About the Business Line
We provide professional services in areas such as aviation, transit, freight rail, highways and bridges, planning, and ports and marine. Our global network of top-tier specialists delivers comprehensive services over the full life cycle of a project to benefit clients in government and private industries.
We are currently recruiting for an experienced Principal Bridge Engineer to join our busy and expanding Bridges and Structures team in our centrally located Birmingham office.
Our Birmingham office has an established track record of successfully delivering major transport schemes. Our project workload ranges from feasibility studies and scheme designs to assessments, inspections, detailed design, independent checking of complex structures, construction support and management services on a wide range of bridges and transport projects including highway and railway schemes. The team is involved in local, national and international work with a variety of clients both from the public and private sector including design & build partnerships with contractors.
Our current portfolio of works comprises a diverse mix of local, national and international bridges and structures projects including Network Rail Civils Assessments Framework, London Highway Alliance Contract, Birmingham City Council Structures, A6 Manchester Airport Relief Road and Design & Build schemes in North and East England.
As a Principal Bridge Engineer you will have the following daily responsibilities:
• Undertakes and project manages rail and road bridges, and associated structures engineering schemes, from inspection and assessment, feasibility through to detailed design.
• Take responsibility for the contribution of Graduate Engineers and Technicians as appropriate.
• Responsible for production through to client sign off of Technical Approval documentation.
• Hands on technical design on road and/or rail structures.
• Hands on assessment of road and/or rail structures.
• Structural inspections and reporting.
• Excellent technical and communication skills both verbal and written.
• Client liaison.
• Production of tenders including quality documentation and costings.
• Project Management including programme and resource monitoring, quality control, technical management and delivery.
• Mentoring graduate engineers in their progress to Chartership.
• Bidding for work and contract negotiations.
• Significant experience with bridge and related structural inspection assessment and design schemes.
• Proven design and project management experience delivering to quality, time and budget.
• Experience in road and/or rail projects.
• Experience in working as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
• High level technical skills in current inspection, assessment and design and be able to lead teams of graduate and senior engineers in such projects.
• Previous exposure with clients of both national and local authorities, together with major contractors.
• Ability to manage staff and project Health and Safety responsibilities including compliance with CDM legislation.
• Degree educated or equivalent in a relevant subject such as Bridge, Civil or Structural Engineering.
• Ideally educated to MSc level or equivalent.
• Chartered Engineer with ICE or IStructE.
What We Offer
AECOM is a place where you can put your innovative thinking and business skills into high gear and work alongside other highly intelligent and motivated people. It's a place where you can apply your skills to some of the world's most challenging, interesting, and meaningful projects worldwide. It's a place that values the diversity of our areas of practice and our people. It's what makes AECOM a great place to work and grow. AECOM is an Equal Opportunity Employer.