AECOM Highways Engineer in Bedford, United Kingdom
Business Line Transportation
Position Title Highways Engineer
United Kingdom - Bedfordshire
Our Bedford based Strategic Highways team currently has vacancies for Highway Engineers.
The appointed candidates will join AECOM’s established highways business which continues to expand following several major project wins. We would like to hear from individuals who have demonstrable highways experience, a sound technical background and business development capabilities that share our enthusiasm and determination to develop our business.
AECOM’s Bedford office is an established and vibrant office with over 40 years highways business with accumulated skills, experience and an established culture in the delivery of all types of roads schemes: from major motorways to smaller local authority improvement schemes.
Current projects in the South East Region include Highways England Road Investment Strategy programme for East and Midlands, Transport for London Cycle Super Highways programme and Better Junctions programme and we continue to support Major Contractors on Design & Build highway and infrastructure projects.
Our current client list includes Highways England, Transport for London Transport Scotland, Highways England, Welsh Government, Local Authorities in the South East and various contractors.
Job responsibilities include:
• Work under the direction of Principal / Senior Engineers to perform tasks in accordance with agreed budget and schedule with little supervision, possessing the ability to solve any problems encountered along with identifying discrepancies in results
• Assist in the provision of technical inputs, across a range of specialisms in the field of highway engineering
• Show technical competence and through experience, gather and take on board the skills of others in computer based applications and tasks including use of software such as MX, WinDES, and the Microsoft Office Suite of programmes including MS Project.
• Undertake project activities in line with company policy, including technical and commercial aspects.
• Take an assistant role on projects
• Provide guidance to entry level engineers
• Contribute to the development of technical proposals
• Plan, lead and undertake site visits as required.
• Plan and attend meetings – internal and external, as required.
• Liaise with sub-consultants and external parties.
• Participate as a team member on a number of levels, including; office disciplines and projects.
• Be proactive and contribute to a safer work environment along with personal, professional development
We would consider the role on either a full or part-time basis and are happy to look at a range of different working patterns.
For this role, we are seeking experienced Highways Engineers with the following attributes:
• Degree in Civil Engineering
• Previous post-graduation experience in highway design gained within the UK
• Competent in the use of MS Office software
• A demonstrable understanding of Health and Safety including CDM
• A comprehensive knowledge of the Design Manual for Roads and Bridges
• Willing to undertake occasional periods of secondment to construction sites
The individual will have proven design experience, delivering to quality, time and budget. They will have experience of working collaboratively as part of a team developing a range of major highway and infrastructure projects. The role will suit a self-motivated individual who is aspiring to take a lead role in delivering high quality projects assisting the Project Manager in the design development of schemes
• Working towards Incorporated/Chartered Engineer status of respective professional institution
• Competent in use of WinDes software
• Site supervision experience
• A full clean driving licence
• CSCS card holder
What We Offer
AECOM is a place where you can put your innovative thinking and business skills into high gear and work alongside other highly intelligent and motivated people. It's a place where you can apply your skills to some of the world's most challenging, interesting, and meaningful projects worldwide. It's a place that values the diversity of our areas of practice and our people. It's what makes AECOM a great place to work and grow. AECOM is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Job Category Engineering - Civil
Country United Kingdom
Position Status Full-Time
Requisition/Vacancy No. 157013BR