AECOM Principal Flood Risk Modeller in Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Requisition/Vacancy No. 143820BR
Position Title Principal Flood Risk Modeller
Job Category Engineering - Water / Wastewater
Business Line Water
Country United Kingdom
State/Province/Region GBR - Hampshire
Why Choose AECOM? AECOM is a premier, fully integrated professional and technical services firm positioned to design, build, finance and operate infrastructure assets around the world for public- and private-sector clients. With nearly 100,000 employees — including architects, engineers, designers, planners, scientists and management and construction services professionals — serving clients in over 150 countries around the world, AECOM is ranked as the #1 engineering design firm by revenue in Engineering News-Record magazine’s annual industry rankings, and has been recognized by Fortune magazine as a World’s Most Admired Company. The firm is a leader in all of the key markets that it serves, including transportation, facilities, environmental, energy, oil and gas, water, high-rise buildings and government. AECOM provides a blend of global reach, local knowledge, innovation and technical excellence in delivering customized and creative solutions that meet the needs of clients’ projects. A Fortune 500 firm, AECOM companies, including URS Corporation and Hunt Construction Group, have annual revenue of approximately $19 billion. More information on AECOM and its services can be found at www.aecom.com.
About the Business Line
We create comprehensive delivery solutions for water, wastewater and wet weather systems, desalination, water resources, water reuse, tunneling, and community infrastructure through traditional and alternative delivery services such as program management and design-build.
With nearly 100,000 employees – including architects, engineers, designers, planners, scientists and management and construction services professionals – serving clients in more than 150 countries around the world following the acquisition of URS, AECOM is a premier, fully integrated infrastructure and support services firm. AECOM provides a blend of global reach, local knowledge, innovation and technical excellence in delivering solutions that create, enhance and sustain the world’s built, natural and social environments.
We are a growing and vibrant organisation offering excellent benefits and employment conditions. We are committed to your individual career development and are proud to be able to offer a range of exciting projects as well as a variety of career directions for all our staff. We are an Equal Opportunities Employer. The salary for this role is negotiable and we offer an extensive flexible benefits package, which includes private healthcare, gym membership, season ticket loans and a contributory pension scheme.
Due to an increased demand for our flood risk management, river and coastal engineering and drainage expertise we are looking for a Principal Flood Risk Modeller to join our successful water team in Basingstoke or Croydon. As a Principal Flood Risk Modeller you will provide support and lead on a range of modelling projects including Surface Water Management Plans, Flood Risk Assessments and flood defence schemes, working with both private and public sector clients, and utilising a range of different modelling approaches and practices. You will also contribute to developing more junior members of the team using your knowledge of modelling and hydrology as well as carry out quality assurance and techncial reviews of modelling and hydrological studies nationally. Experience with 1D, 2D and fully integrated 1D/2D fluvial, pluvial and drainage modelling is essential. You will also have experience of undertaking modelling to contribute to engineering designs and solutions.
You will be based in our Basingstoke or Croydon office with some travel mainly in the UK but also with potential for some overseas. As the successful candidate, you will hold a water related MSc/MEng in Civil/Environmental Engineering along with over 10 years of industry experience and be Chartered through CIWEM or ICE.
You will also be:
Experienced (to expert level) in 1D and 2D modelling packages (ISIS, TuFLOW, InfoWorks, ICM, WinDes) and hydrological assessment techniques;
Experienced in modelling for Environment Agency projects under the WEM Framework;
Experienced and have the capability and understanding of drainage modelling and integrating this with more traditional fluvial/pluvial models;
Experienced in modelling for engineering design;
Experienced in the use of GIS (MapInfo, ArcGIS, QGIS);
Commercial awareness and client relationship management skills; and,
Demonstrable experience in project management, work winning and client management.
You will also drive on behalf of the company to visit clients/sites etc and therefore a valid UK driving licence is essential.
As a Principal Flood Risk Modeller your responsibilities will include:
• Technical Lead on flood risk modelling and hydrology projects for private and public sector clients;
• Undertake quality assurance and technical reviews of modelling and hydrology studies;
• Lead in the technical development of team members;
• Manage and prepare flood risk management / modelling bids, including methodology, cost estimation, risk assessment and programming resources;
• Undertake Project Manager duties for flood risk management / modelling projects, using internal systems and with Clients, including change control adopting Early Warnings and Compensation Events;
• Investigation and assessment of fluvial and coastal flood risk issues; and,
• Contribute to a range of projects using your modelling experience, including engineering designs and solutions.
• Minimum of 10 years of modelling experience in a consulting firm working on flood projects in both the public and private sectors;
• Highly proficient in the use of a range of modelling packages and GIS;
• An ability to lead on the technical development of hydraulic modelling projects across a range of 1D and 2D software packages;
• Experience of managing projects, delegating tasks and technical mentoring;
• Demonstrable experience of effective technical leadership, management of a team of modellers and resource management; and,
• Demonstrable experience in preparing, delivering and winning technical modelling proposals;
• Experience of working for an Environment Agency WEM Consultant in a related role;
• Experience of direct liaison with Clients at a Project Manager/Project Director level;
• Experience working on a range of flood risk management projects;
• Ability to facilitate technical discussions and stakeholder engagement;
• Experience of UK flood and water management sectors;
• Strong client focus, high level of motivation and dedication, and the ability to work well leading or as part of a team; and,
• Excellent communications (written and oral) and presentation skills;
• Experience in Flood Risk Management studies including design and preparation of Flood Risk Assessments;
• Understanding of flood risk legislation, industry standard drainage and SuDS guidance and other relevant water policies for the UK and Internationally;
• Demonstrable knowledge of Environment Agency FCERM processes and systems; and,
• Demonstrable Project Management experience.
• Chartered Member of a relevant Professional Institution (CIWEM or ICE);
• Master’s Degree in Water Resources, Civil / Water Engineering or similar.
What We Offer
AECOM is a place where you can put your innovative thinking and business skills into high gear and work alongside other highly intelligent and motivated people. It's a place where you can apply your skills to some of the world's most challenging, interesting, and meaningful projects worldwide. It's a place that values the diversity of our areas of practice and our people. It's what makes AECOM a great place to work and grow. AECOM is an Equal Opportunity Employer.