AECOM Principal Engineer - flood risk management, river and coastal in Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Requisition/Vacancy No. 143814BR
Position Title Principal Engineer - flood risk management, river and coastal
Job Category Engineering - Civil
Business Line Water
Country United Kingdom
State/Province/Region GBR - Hampshire
Why Choose AECOM? AECOM is a premier, fully integrated professional and technical services firm positioned to design, build, finance and operate infrastructure assets around the world for public- and private-sector clients. With nearly 100,000 employees — including architects, engineers, designers, planners, scientists and management and construction services professionals — serving clients in over 150 countries around the world, AECOM is ranked as the #1 engineering design firm by revenue in Engineering News-Record magazine’s annual industry rankings, and has been recognized by Fortune magazine as a World’s Most Admired Company. The firm is a leader in all of the key markets that it serves, including transportation, facilities, environmental, energy, oil and gas, water, high-rise buildings and government. AECOM provides a blend of global reach, local knowledge, innovation and technical excellence in delivering customized and creative solutions that meet the needs of clients’ projects. A Fortune 500 firm, AECOM companies, including URS Corporation and Hunt Construction Group, have annual revenue of approximately $19 billion. More information on AECOM and its services can be found at www.aecom.com.
About the Business Line
We create comprehensive delivery solutions for water, wastewater and wet weather systems, desalination, water resources, water reuse, tunneling, and community infrastructure through traditional and alternative delivery services such as program management and design-build.
With nearly 100,000 employees – including architects, engineers, designers, planners, scientists and management and construction services professionals – serving clients in more than 150 countries around the world following the acquisition of URS, AECOM is a premier, fully integrated infrastructure and support services firm. AECOM provides a blend of global reach, local knowledge, innovation and technical excellence in delivering solutions that create, enhance and sustain the world’s built, natural and social environments.
We are a growing and vibrant organisation offering excellent benefits and employment conditions. We are committed to your individual career development and are proud to be able to offer a range of exciting projects as well as a variety of career directions for all our staff. We are an Equal Opportunities Employer. The salary for this role is negotiable and we offer an extensive flexible benefits package, which includes private healthcare, gym membership, season ticket loans and a contributory pension scheme.
Due to an increased demand for our flood risk management, river and coastal engineering and drainage expertise we are looking for a Senior/Principal Civil Engineer to join our successful water team in Basingstoke. As a Senior/Principal Civil Engineer you will manage the technical and commercial aspects of projects from feasibility to detailed design and be able to carry out technical reviews of calculations, drawings and other design aspects. You will delegate tasks, direct and oversee the work of others and act as a technical mentor to more junior staff. This position will see you undertake the role of Project Manager for a range of flood risk management and drainage projects across Southern England, with a focus on London and the South East.
As the successful candidate, you will hold a BEng/MEng in a related engineering field with experience in civil or hydraulic engineering. Ideally you will have experience of working on Environment Agency projects and be able to demonstrate knowledge of the FCERM process, and will be a Chartered Engineer, or close to becoming one.
Basingstoke is well located in the South of England, with excellent motorway and train links, being 45 minutes by train to Central .We work for major Clients such as the Environment Agency, , Network Rail, , Affinity Water, Bournemouth Airport and many other Clients and locations.
• Investigation and assessment of fluvial and coastal flood risk and erosion problems, including design, specification and contract documentation,
• Lead on flood risk appraisal and design projects including options assessment, multi-criteria analysis, flood defence economics, environmental assessment, stakeholder engagement, and design,
• Prepare and manage flood risk management and rivers and coastal engineering bids, including methodology, cost estimation, risk assessment and programming resources,
• Undertake Project Manager duties using internal systems and also under NEC PSC contracts with Clients, including change control adopting Early Warnings and Compensation Events,
• Assist in the personal and technical development of team members.
• Engineering Degree in a relevant subject such as Civil, Structural or Environmental Engineering,
• Significant and demonstrable experience relating to some or all of the following: river engineering, coastal engineering, flood risk management, surface water drainage.
• Experience of managing projects, delegating tasks and technical mentoring,
• Experience of direct liaison with Clients at a Project Manager/Project Director level,
• Experience of UK water/FCERM sector,
• Chartered (or near Chartered) Member of a relevant Professional Institution (ICE/CIWEM),
• Experience of working for a Environment Agency WEM or NEECA Consultant in a related role,
• Demonstrable knowledge of Environment Agency FCERM processes and systems,
• Experience of leading on FRM schemes including MCA, MCM, PF calculator and PAR / Outline Business Case template,
• Able to lead on designs of flood defences (fluvial and coastal), fluvial control structures and scour protection works encompassing multi-disciplinary designs including civil, MEICA and environmental aspects,
• Demonstrable experience of effective delegation and resource management,
• Knowledge and experience of operating NEC ECC and PSC contracts.
• Lead on surface water drainage relating to development and infrastructure,
• Experience of preparing FRAs and Surface Water Drainage Strategies for developers
What We Offer
AECOM is a place where you can put your innovative thinking and business skills into high gear and work alongside other highly intelligent and motivated people. It's a place where you can apply your skills to some of the world's most challenging, interesting, and meaningful projects worldwide. It's a place that values the diversity of our areas of practice and our people. It's what makes AECOM a great place to work and grow. AECOM is an Equal Opportunity Employer.