AECOM Industrial Wastewater Treatment Technology Engineer in Austin Texas United States
Requisition/Vacancy No. 116572BR
Position Title Industrial Wastewater Treatment Technology Engineer
Job Category Engineering - Chemical
Business Line Energy
Office Region USA - West
Office Location US - Austin, TX - 9400 Amberglen Boulevard
Why Choose AECOM? AECOM is a premier, fully integrated professional and technical services firm positioned to design, build, finance and operate infrastructure assets around the world for public- and private-sector clients. With nearly 100,000 employees — including architects, engineers, designers, planners, scientists and management and construction services professionals — serving clients in over 150 countries around the world, AECOM is ranked as the #1 engineering design firm by revenue in Engineering News-Record magazine’s annual industry rankings, and has been recognized by Fortune magazine as a World’s Most Admired Company. The firm is a leader in all of the key markets that it serves, including transportation, facilities, environmental, energy, oil and gas, water, high-rise buildings and government. AECOM provides a blend of global reach, local knowledge, innovation and technical excellence in delivering customized and creative solutions that meet the needs of clients’ projects. A Fortune 500 firm, AECOM companies, including URS Corporation and Hunt Construction Group, have annual revenue of approximately $19 billion. More information on AECOM and its services can be found at www.aecom.com.
About the Business Line Energy
We address the complete spectrum of energy challenges, including clean and renewable energy, energy efficiency and carbon management, hydropower and dams, thermal, geothermal and wind power generation, and transmission and distribution.
Job Summary The Process Technologies Organization (PTO) of AECOM (formerly URS Corporation), located in Austin, TX, is actively seeking a creative, highly talented, experienced industrial wastewater treatment (WWT) expert for immediate employment to provide support for research and development, design, testing, and troubleshooting of industrial wastewater treatment processes. The PTO focuses on the development and installation of clean air technologies, gas treatment systems, and wastewater/water treatment systems for the power, oil and gas, and other industries. These technologies are designed to significantly reduce the emission of pollutants that contribute to acid rain, smog, global warming, mercury and other heavy metals contamination. PTO is currently executing water treatment project work for clients within the electric power industry, much of which is driven by recent industry regulations such as the proposed Effluent Limitation Guidelines (ELG) and the Coal Combustion Residuals (CCR) rule. PTO is actively expanding industrial wastewater capabilities to other sectors such as upstream and downstream oil & gas.
As a member of the Technology Development department within PTO, you will contribute to cutting-edge technology development while conducting work that addresses many of the pressing environmental issues facing the power and industrial sectors. You will report directly to the Process Development team leader in the Technology Development department and you will have a significant role on projects that involve the identification, evaluation, development, and commercialization of value-added treatment technologies or novel applications of existing technologies for clients in multiple industrial sectors. You will work in a strong team environment with staff ranging from entry-level individuals to experienced PhD level engineers and chemists; many are considered top of their field. Additional details regarding the PTO, the Technology Development Department and associated laboratory facilities, and water related work conducted by our organization can be found at www.aecomprocesstechnologies.com or in our Wastewater Treatment Technology Services brochure.
Technology Solutions and Problem Solving
- Develop and design solutions to solve industrial (i.e. non-municipal) clients' WWT problems using novel combinations of conventional and developing technologies. Such core technologies may include: physical/chemical; ion exchange; membrane (reverse and forward osmosis); adsorption media; solids separation and filtration; redox processes; electrodialysis; and electrocoagulation.
- Design and lead field sampling/analytical test programs necessary for characterization of industrial process water/wastewaters and evaluation of WWT technology options.
- Conduct and/or lead laboratory treatability study tasks and evaluate treatability data to develop conceptual WWT options for wastewater process streams associated with the electric power, oil & gas (upstream and downstream), petrochemical, and mining industries.
- Design and manage bench and pilot scale test programs necessary to develop novel wastewater treatment solutions for industrial clients.
- Conduct WWT feasibility studies, including conceptual design, sizing of equipment, and development and review of process flow diagrams and piping and instrumentation diagrams.
- Troubleshoot existing industrial WWT processes and identify technical solutions to address client needs.
Personal Interactions and Team Involvement
- Interact with existing or potential clients to assess their individual technical issues and needs, and obtain necessary process input information to conduct feasibility studies and develop novel technology solutions.
- Work with technology vendors and developers to obtain necessary technical and pricing information to compare cost and performance of various technology options for specific applications.
- Develop and grow industrial WWT capabilities within the AECOM Process Technologies Organization (PTO) by mentoring junior engineering and chemistry staff to form a strong WWT consulting team within the PTO Technology Development Department.
- Coordinate and interact with technical staff across multiple engineering and chemistry disciplines within the Process Technologies Organization, as well as industrial waste water experts in other parts of the AECOM organization, to achieve these objectives.
- Develop strong working relationships with industrial wastewater practitioners in other AECOM offices to identify opportunities and execute project work.
- The position involves moderate travel in support of projects (up to 25%), with the majority of travel in an industrial plant environment, primarily in North America.
- Bachelor’s degree in Chemical Engineering or related field
- 10 years of relevant experience
- Willing and able to travel (up to 25%) for work
- Willing and able to work in an industrial environment
- Experience with a wide array of WWT technologies, including physical/chemical; ion exchange, membrane (reverse and forward osmosis); adsorption media; solids separation and filtration; redox processes; electrocoagulation
- Experience designing and managing bench and pilot scale WWT test programs
- Experience leading feasibility studies for WWT including conceptual design, sizing of equipment, and development of process flow diagrams
- Client-facing experience
- Experience mentoring junior technical staff
What We Offer AECOM is a place where you can put your innovative thinking and business skills into high gear and work alongside other highly intelligent and motivated people. It's a place where you can apply your skills to some of the world's most challenging, interesting, and meaningful projects worldwide. It's a place that values the diversity of our areas of practice and our people. It's what makes AECOM a great place to work and grow.
AECOM is an equal opportunity employer and Minorities, Females, Veterans, and Disabled persons are encouraged to apply. For further information, please click here to view the EEO Is The Law poster.